The City of Watertown’s birth, death and marriage records date back to 1883. Uncertified copies of birth, death and marriage records may be provided for genealogical research purposes under the following circumstances:
- The person to whom the record relates to is known to be deceased.
- Birth record must have been on file for at least 75 years
- Death record must have been on file for at least 50 years
- Marriage record must have been on file for at least 50 years
- Time periods may be waived if the applicant is a descendant and provides documentation of the direct line of descent
- Complete the Request Form
- Include a copy of your Photo ID
- Include proof of the direct line of descent if necessary
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope
- Send a money order payable to the “City Clerk” per the fee schedule below
- Mail to City Clerk, 245 Washington Street, Watertown, NY 13601
Genealogy Fee Schedule:
The fee is for each name and/or type of record requested. If your request yields no results, we will issue a No Record Certification and the fee is not refunded.
Standard search: This includes a three (3) year search and the fee is $22.00 per copy.
Long search: When more than a three-year search is requested, the fee for each record request is according to the following schedule.
|1 - 3 years….$22
||31 - 40 years….$102|
|4 - 10 years….$42
||41 - 50 years….$122|
|11 - 20 years….$62
||51 - 60 years….$142|
|21 - 30 years….$82
||61 - 70 years….$162|
City Historian Flower Memorial Library: Genealogy Department City History
Jefferson County Historical Society
USGenWeb: Genealogy Site